Providing real opportunities for progression
It’s our people and their commitment that truly sets us apart, delivering a consistently excellent service time and time again.
Our clients appreciate the “can do” attitude, collaborative approach, flexibility and attention to detail our teams bring to their projects. These attributes and commitment are down to encouraging staff development and progression from within. Below is a selection of our staff stories:
- Mark joined Coombs as a carpentry apprentice in 2002 and quickly demonstrated the ability to progress. Having experienced a number of roles within the company he joined our Small Works Department and started to assist in its running in 2013. Working closely with Steve Newman, a member of Coombs for over 43 years, Mark quickly developed his management skills. Since Steve’s well-deserved retirement in early 2017, the department has continued to go from strength to strength under Mark’s leadership.
- Katie joined Coombs as an Accounts Clerk in 2002 managing purchase ledger also gaining experience with subcontractor payments. When our previous Accounts Manager stepped down after 15 years, Katie’s hard work and helpful attitude made her the ideal replacement.
- Garry joined Coombs in 1997 as a Site Supervisor but expressed a desire to become a Surveyor and quickly completed his HNC in Construction. Through his determination, and Coombs sponsoring, Garry followed this up with a 1st class honours degree in Design & Construction Management whilst working as a Surveyor. Today Garry’s management and multi-tasking capabilities are being put to good use leading our Minor Works Department.
Providing real opportunities for apprentices and trainees isn’t anything new for Coombs – we’ve been doing it for years.
- Andrew is one such example joining us from Canterbury College over 17 years ago. Having converted from an HNC to an HND he started to gain experience as a trainee Surveyor. Since then Andrew has progressed through the ranks to Managing Surveyor gaining his BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying with Information Technology along the way.
- Toby joined us following an advert in our site newsletter for our recent £4.5m East Folkestone Primary School project. Having impressed on site, as a Laborer, when Toby expressed a desire to improve himself we were more than happy to help. Toby is now being supported through a course to improve his carpentry skills.